The Montessori Green Reading Series:
The third, and final step in the Montessori phonetic reading range, continues the work of the pink & blue reading series. The green series provides the Child with an in-depth understanding of words, using digraph (phonogram) combinations. The Child must learn to recognise the digraph first, and then to sound it out correctly.
The Child learns through repetition. This system is designed on the following format; for each of the individual digraphs found in 9 families; and 5 extra groups, follow these steps:
Work through each Digraph before moving onto the next one:
- start with the small, square box
- match the word to the image, found in the small box
- using the 2 different colour alphabets (Printed Alphabets, sold separately), the Child builds the word, as seen in the image
- move onto the green word list in the green envelope. These are new words, but still repeat the same digraph
- next, work through the booklet of words
- finally, the complex sentence uses words reflecting the digraph being studied. The Child reads with ease now
- once all digraphs of the 1st family are completed, the Child reviews their work using the summary word list
Repetition helps the Child to read smoothly, with understanding:
Working through each set of digraphs, the Child absorbs a thorough understanding of the vowel, and consonant digraph combinations. Only through repetitive use of these vowel / consonant combinations, do they begin to absorb this knowledge, and instinctively grasp the sound that the digraphs make. By mastering digraphs, the direct objective is attained, and they learn to read a word smoothly, with understanding. Indirectly, children automatically learn to spell a word correctly.
This material provides a total of 33 separate; totally individual; digraphs. Once the Child works through all 9 families, and 5 extra digraph combinations, they can advance onto the 30 lists of additional 180 words. Each of these additional words has a unique spelling, and do not form part of the digraph families.
DIGRAPH. A term in ORTHOGRAPHY for two LETTERS that represent one sound, such as “th” in “this” and “sh” in “ashes”. If three letters together represent a single sound, they constitute a trigraph, such as “tch” in “catch” and “sch” in “schmaltz”. When letters form digraphs, they surrender their independent sound values so as to stand as a group for a single phoneme, usually because an alphabet has no letter to serve that purpose. – https://www.encyclopedia.com/
Contents of the Montessori Green Reading Series:
33 digraph boxes, 42 envelopes, split into 9 families and 5 extras (with unique spelling), plus 1 envelope of additional words:
- 33 digraph boxes, each box consists of;
- 10 pictures (330 pictures)
- 10 words labels (330 words)
- 33 green A5 envelopes, containing:
- 1 word list with 10 words (33 lists – 330 words)
- 1 booklet with 6 words (33 booklets – 180 words)
- 1 complex sentence (33 sentences – using 5 digraph words)
- 9 transparent A6 envelopes, containing:
- 1 summary card of the digraphs belonging to the family
- a summary list of 6 words for each digraph in that family (33 summary lists – 180 words)
- BONUS – 30 extra lists of 180 unique words, with unique spellings, not included in any of the families or extras
- BONUS – 1 acrylic stand that holds 5 folders is included – 21cm x 14cm x 8cm / (8″ x 5.5″ x 3″)
The acrylic stands are sold separately. We recommend that you purchase 8 additional acrylic stands to display the Montessori Green Reading Series in full, on your shelves.
This product offers a minimum of 1,200 unique words in total, to lay a firm foundation to develop the Child’s understanding of how to read.
Note: the different combinations of digraphs in each family, all make the same sound, for that family.
- 1st Family: a-e, ai, ay,
- 2nd Family: ee, ea, y,
- 3rd Family: ie, i-e, y, igh,
- 4th Family: o-e, oa, oe,
- 5th Family: oo, u-e, ue, ew,
- 6th Family: aw, au, al, or,
- 7th Family: ir, ur, er,
- 8th Family: ou, ow,
- 9th Family: oi, oy,
- 1st Extra: sh,
- 2nd Extra: ch,
- 3rd Extra: th,
- 4th Extra: ar,
- 5th Extra: oo,