Maria Montessori believed in educating holistically. The zoology and botany puzzles; when used by the young child; improves, and develops their hand-eye coordination, focus and concentration. Lifting the pieces with the knobs, strengthens their fine motor control, preparing the hand to hold a pencil. Finding where to replace the puzzle piece, develops cognitive, problem solving skills.
One of the quintessential core Montessori activities, are the wooden zoology puzzles. The full traditional Montessori zoology curriculum, has 5 puzzles. Each puzzle represents a specific class of vertebrate animal, in this case the Horse Puzzle represents the mammals. These puzzles are brilliantly coloured, developed to attract the Child. Indirectly, they learn about the key parts of the animal, through the shapes of the pieces.
Features of the Horse Puzzle
- the direct objectives, for the Child are;
- to understand the key parts of a horse
- improve their hand-eye coordination and their fine motor skills
- indirectly, the Child can;
- develop problem solving (cognitive) skills
- encourage an interest in the world around us
- improve their manipulative skills
- lay a sound foundation to improve their focus and concentration
- this activity is a great support for various Montessori curricula, i.e. toddler, and zoology
- the horse puzzle was used to develop our puzzle activities, which is the next step in the Child’s development.
Contents and Size
A beech wood puzzle in a frame
24cm x 24cm x 0.5cm / (9½” x 9½ x ¼”)
One of the attractions to the Montessori Method is the extensive use of wood.
We use several types of wood, sourced from renewable sources, in the production of our Montessori Materials.
- Solid beechwood for cylinder blocks, pink towers, dressing frames and brown stairs.
- Birchply for trays, holders and animal and botany puzzles.
- MDF for puzzle maps
- Pineply for boxes and containers
We ensure that the coatings and inks used are not only eco-friendly, but also non-toxic.
Our wooden products are manufactured by responsible partner factories both locally and abroad and ensure that fair labour practices are adopted.
Care instructions for Childrens House Wooden Materials:
- If wooden products are exposed to liquids, wipe dry as quickly as possible.
- Most of the surfaces can be wiped with a damp cloth if exposed to dirt or grime.
- Avoid leaving any of our wooden product in direct sunlight, as it may warp certain woods and/ or the coating may fade over time.
Order R1000 worth of items to qualify for free shipping to your door anywhere in South Africa.
Transit times depend on your location:
- Cape Metro – next day if your order is placed before 13h00
- Gauteng & Durban – 2 to 3 days
- Everywhere else – 2 to 4 days depending on your location
Feel free to email us should you require any further information.
We offer free delivery to the USA:
- USA – free for orders over $300 – 7 days to your door
- Canada – 7 day shipping is calculated at checkout – subject to additional GST & PST which is billed on arrival
- UK – 7 day shipping is calculated at checkout – subject to 20% VAT which is billed on arrival
- EU – 7 day shipping calculated at checkout – subject to EU VAT which is billed on arrival
- Australia – 9 days – may be subject to 10% GST which is billed on arrival
- NZ – 9 days – may be subject to 15% GST which is billed on arrival
Should you require further information about shipping charges, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Bird Puzzle
- The Tortoise Puzzle
- The Frog Puzzle
- The Fish Puzzle
- Cabinet for 5 Puzzles
- Horse Puzzle Activity
- Parts of a Horse Activity
- My First book of Mammals
- Mammals from around the World Activity
- Horse Skeleton Puzzle
- Growth Process of a Boy Puzzle
- Growth Process of a Girl Puzzle
Further Reading and Resources