Did you know, the Horseshoe Crab is a living dinosaur?
The Life Cycle of the Horseshoe Crab: Objects is a series of 4 figurines describing the four life stages of this Arthropod. They have been around for more than 300 million years, making them older than dinosaurs. Looking like prehistoric crabs, these hard-shelled creatures are closely related to scorpions, and spiders. As omnivorous scavengers, they feed on mollusks, worms, dead fish, and algae, making them the “street sweepers” of the ocean bed. These objects form an integral part of the Montessori teaching, providing a tangible learning resource for the Child.
Contents of the Miniature Objects
- 4 realistic figurines illustrating the 4 phases of the life cycle: eggs, larvae, juvenile, and adult
- made from non-toxic and BPA free plastic
- ranging in size from 3 to 9 cm / (1″ x 3.5″)
- Life Cycle of a Horseshoe Crab Activity works alongside these objects
- other life cycles include the Life Cycle of a Crocodile Objects,
- and the Life Cycle of an Ant Objects
Further Reading and References
- read about all the Horseshoe Crab by The National Wildlife Federation