The Montessori Zoology curriculum encourages the Child/ren to start by; observing; and discussing animals in their immediate environment. This explains why the initial activities revolve around animal families and groups, pets and farm animals. These activities lead onto discussions about vertebrate and invertebrate animals; providing an opportunity for the guide to introduce the Vertebrate Sorting Cards.
This activity introduces the concept of categorisation to the Child, which forms the foundation of animal classification.
Feature of the Vertebrate Sorting Cards
- the direct objective of this material, introduces:
- the concept of categorising animals with backbones, into 5 different classes
- the terminology ‘vertebrate’, for each class of animal and its meaning
- indirectly, the Child realises
- how we relate to each other
- what the different categorisations mean
- improves focus and concentration
- curriculum support material; aligned to the Montessori language and zoology curriculum
- improves sorting skills
- introduces discussions about animals
Contents of the Vertebrate Sorting Activity
- 25 image cards illustrating different vertebrate animals – 10.5 x 9 cm / (3.5″ x 4″)
- 5 header cards, one for each class of animal; birds, fish, amphibians, reptiles and mammals
- an A6 transparent plastic envelope to store and display the cards on the shelves – 18 x 12.5 x 0.5 cm / (7″ x 5″ x 2″)
Order R1000 worth of items to qualify for free shipping to your door anywhere in South Africa.
Transit times depend on your location:
- Cape Metro – next day if your order is placed before 13h00
- Gauteng & Durban – 2 to 3 days
- Everywhere else – 2 to 4 days depending on your location
Feel free to email us should you require any further information.
We offer free delivery to the USA:
- USA – free for orders over $300 – 7 days to your door
- Canada – 7 day shipping is calculated at checkout – subject to additional GST & PST which is billed on arrival
- UK – 7 day shipping is calculated at checkout – subject to 20% VAT which is billed on arrival
- EU – 7 day shipping calculated at checkout – subject to EU VAT which is billed on arrival
- Australia – 9 days – may be subject to 10% GST which is billed on arrival
- NZ – 9 days – may be subject to 15% GST which is billed on arrival
Should you require further information about shipping charges, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com
Further Reading and Resources
Vertebrate Definition – Brittanica