The Toddler Brown Stair, is also known as the Toddler Broad Stair. This sensorial activity consists of a series of prisms that develop visual discrimination of size, in width or breadth, while the length remains constant. This sensorial activity is based upon the Brown Stair, and is an excellent way to introduce toddlers to the concept of area and volume.
Children do not even realise that they are learning the basic concepts of geometry; they just know that they are having fun and experimenting with shapes. Toddlers have an instinctive need to bring order out of a jumble of prisms, all the same length but different in width. They love to sort them by sight, touch and weight.
Features of the Toddler Brown Stair
- the direct objective for the child:
- to build the stair from the broadest prism to the narrowest prism, from left to right
- indirectly, the child learns:
- focus, concentration and gains self-esteem
- to introduce the sensorial concept of shape, dimension and size through visual perception
- to prepare the Child for mathematics by comparison, grading and seriation with prisms
- perfect in size; each prism is 2cm / (¾”) larger, in all dimensions, than the other
- 5 prisms in total, the smallest being 2cm³ / (¾”³) to the largest being 10cm³ / (4″³)
- manufactured from solid beechwood, lacquered in the traditional Montessori brown colour
- beautifully finished with smoothed edges
Length – 30cm / (11¾”)
One of the attractions to the Montessori Method is the extensive use of wood.
We use several types of wood, sourced from renewable sources, in the production of our Montessori Materials.
- Solid beechwood for cylinder blocks, pink towers, dressing frames and brown stairs.
- Birchply for trays, holders and animal and botany puzzles.
- MDF for puzzle maps
- Pineply for boxes and containers
We ensure that the coatings and inks used are not only eco-friendly, but also non-toxic.
Our wooden products are manufactured by responsible partner factories both locally and abroad and ensure that fair labour practices are adopted.
Care instructions for Childrens House Wooden Materials:
- If wooden products are exposed to liquids, wipe dry as quickly as possible.
- Most of the surfaces can be wiped with a damp cloth if exposed to dirt or grime.
- Avoid leaving any of our wooden product in direct sunlight, as it may warp certain woods and/ or the coating may fade over time.
This product qualifies for free shipping to your door anywhere in South Africa.
Transit times depend on your location:
- Cape Metro – next day if your order is placed before 13h00
- Gauteng & Durban – 2 to 3 days
- Everywhere else – 2 to 4 days depending on your location
We offer free delivery to the USA:
- USA – free for orders over $300 – 7 days to your door
- Canada – 7 days shipping calculated at checkout – subject to additional GST & PST which is billed on arrival
- UK – 7 days shipping calculated at checkout – subject to 20% VAT which is billed on arrival
- EU – 7 day shipping calculated at checkout – subject to EU VAT which is billed on arrival
- Australia – 9 days – may be subject to 10% GST which is billed on arrival
- NZ – 9 days – may be subject to 15% GST which is billed on arrival
Should you require further information about shipping charges, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com
Further Reading and Resources