The Montessori Green Reading Series:
The third, and final step, in the Montessori phonetic reading range, continues the work of the pink & blue reading series. The green series provides the Child with an in-depth understanding of words using digraph combinations. The Child must learn to recognise the digraph first; then to sound it correctly.
The Child learns through repetition. This system is designed on the following format; for each of the individual digraphs found in 9 families and 5 extra groups, follow these steps:
- match the word to the image, found in the box
- using the 2 different colour alphabets (Printed Alphabets, sold separately), the Child spells the word seen in the image,
- the word list contains new words, still repeating the same digraph
- a booklet of words only,
- the sentence
- uses only words reflecting the digraph being studied.
Work Through each Digraph before moving onto the next one:
Working through each set, the Child absorbs a thorough understanding of the vowel and consonant digraph combinations. Only through this repetitive use of these vowels / consonant combinations, do they begin to absorb this knowledge and instinctively grasp the sound that the digraphs make. By mastering digraphs, the Child learns to read a word smoothly, with understanding, (the direct objective). An indirect objective gained, is the ability to automatically spell a word correctly.
This material provides a total of 33 separate, totally individual, digraphs. Once the Child works through all 9 families and 5 extra digraph combinations, they can advance on to 14 lists of additional words with unique spelling. These unique words do not form part of the digraph families.
DIGRAPH. A term in ORTHOGRAPHY for two LETTERS that represent one sound, such as th in this and sh in ashes. If three letters together represent a single sound, they constitute a trigraph, such as tch in catch and sch in schmaltz. When letters form digraphs, they surrender their independent sound values so as to stand as a group for a single phoneme, usually because an alphabet has no letter to serve that purpose. – Courtesy of https://www.encyclopedia.com/
Contents of the Montessori Green Reading Series:
Consists of 33 digraph boxes and envelopes, split into families and extras.
Each family and the extras, have the following:
- ±3 labelled plastic boxes for each digraph – 7.5 x 7.5 x 3 cm / (3″ x 3″ x 1″)
- each box contains ±10 beautifully illustrated images and ±10 labels, naming each image, all colour-coded, green
- an A5 green plastic envelope for each digraph – 24 x 17 cm / (9.5″ x 6.5″), containing:
- word list of ±10 (different) words, with a header image, at the top of the list, for the first word
- booklet, with 6 words
- a sentence that uses only words reflecting the digraph being studied.
- 1 A6 transparent plastic envelope, for each family or extra 18 x 12.5 cm / (7″ x 5″) containing
- summary list of each digraph for the family or extra, plus 1 word for each digraph
- 3 lists of 6 words; each list is for a different digraph
- Bonus! 1 acrylic stand to hold 1 family of 4 x A5 green plastic envelopes and 1 x A6 transparent plastic envelope – 21 x 14 x 8 cm / (8″ x 5.5″ x 3″)
The acrylic stands are sold separately. We recommend that you purchase 8 additional acrylic stands to display the Montessori Green Reading Series in full, on your shelves.
Note: the different combinations of digraphs in each family, all make the same sound, for that family.
- 1st Family: a-e, ai, ay,
- 2nd Family: ee, ea, y,
- 3rd Family: ie, i-e, y, igh,
- 4th Family: o-e, oa, oe,
- 5th Family: oo, u-e, ue, ew,
- 6th Family: aw, au, al, or,
- 7th Family: ir, ur, er,
- 8th Family: ou, ow,
- 9th Family: oi, oy,
- 1st Extra: sh,
- 2nd Extra: ch,
- 3rd Extra: th,
- 4th Extra: ar,
- 5th Extra: 00,
A bonus of 14 extra lists of words, with unique spellings, that do not form part of the diagraph families. These lists are sold in a clear envelope. This provides additional practice work for the Child.
Qualities of the card material are,
- the images are vibrantly coloured, high-definition images of real items
- the illustrations are very beautiful and will attract the Child to review them again, and again
- printed with eco-friendly ink on non-tear, recyclable card
- wipe cards clean with a damp cloth; no lamination required
- delivered in a plastic envelope for storing on the shelves
- additional acrylic display stands are available separately