What are Sandpaper Letters for?
Children learn through all their senses, and not necessarily in a linear fashion. Each activity that they touch, will pass knowledge to the Child, through their senses. The Double Sandpaper Letters – Print, takes children beyond the visual recognition of letters, and into a deeper understanding through the sensorial impression, using the tactile senses.
The letters in this activity are:
Features of the Double Sandpaper Letters – Print
- the direct objective for the Child;
- to introduce the Child to the new sound (phoneme) that is made when two letters are put together
- indirectly, the Child will;
- remember the shapes of the letters through muscular and visual memories
- embed the shape of these letters in the Child’s memory muscle, by continuously tracing the letters
- be introduced to the non-phonetic aspects of reading
Contents of the Double Sandpaper Letters
- 17 green wooden boards
- each board has 2 letters of the alphabet, made from a roughened ‘sandpaper’ textured print
- a birch plywood box keep the letters in place
Size: 27cm x 21cm x 10cm
One of the attractions to the Montessori Method is the extensive use of wood.
We use several types of wood, sourced from renewable sources, in the production of our Montessori Materials.
- Solid beechwood for cylinder blocks, pink towers, dressing frames and brown stairs.
- Birchply for trays, holders and animal and botany puzzles.
- MDF for puzzle maps
- Pineply for boxes and containers
We ensure that the coatings and inks used are not only eco-friendly, but also non-toxic.
Our wooden products are manufactured by responsible partner factories both locally and abroad and ensure that fair labour practices are adopted.
Care instructions for Childrens House Wooden Materials:
- If wooden products are exposed to liquids, wipe dry as quickly as possible.
- Most of the surfaces can be wiped with a damp cloth if exposed to dirt or grime.
- Avoid leaving any of our wooden product in direct sunlight, as it may warp certain woods and/ or the coating may fade over time.
Order R1000 worth of items to qualify for free shipping to your door anywhere in South Africa.
Transit times depend on your location:
- Cape Metro – next day if your order is placed before 13h00
- Gauteng & Durban – 2 to 3 days
- Everywhere else – 2 to 4 days depending on your location
Feel free to email us should you require any further information.
We offer free delivery to the USA:
- USA – free for orders over $300 – 7 days to your door
- Canada – 7 day shipping is calculated at checkout – subject to additional GST & PST which is billed on arrival
- UK – 7 day shipping is calculated at checkout – subject to 20% VAT which is billed on arrival
- EU – 7 day shipping calculated at checkout – subject to EU VAT which is billed on arrival
- Australia – 9 days – may be subject to 10% GST which is billed on arrival
- NZ – 9 days – may be subject to 15% GST which is billed on arrival
Should you require further information about shipping charges, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com
Further Reading and Resources
“Tracing the letter, in the fashion of writing, begins the muscular education which prepares for writing…Touching the letters and looking at them at the same time, fixes the image more quickly through the cooperation of the senses. Later, the two facts separate; looking, becomes reading; touching becomes writing..” The Montessori Method.
How do Sandpaper Letters Work? – ReachforMontessori.com