The Brown Stair also called the Broad Stair, introduces the Child to differences in size, in 3-dimensions, whilst maintaining the same width.
This is a set of 10 prisms with a constant width of 20cm. Each prism differs by thickness. The objective is for the Child to place the blocks in proper gradation, forming a stair-like structure.
- made from solid Beechwood, sprayed with brown eco-friendly lacquer
- didactically accurate measurements
- 1cm x 1cm x 20cm rising in 1cm gradations to –
- 10cm x 10cm x 20cm
The pink tower cubes shown in the brown stair illustration are for illustrative purposes only.
One of the attractions to the Montessori Method is the extensive use of wood.
We use several types of wood, sourced from renewable sources, in the production of our Montessori Materials.
- Solid beechwood for cylinder blocks, pink towers, dressing frames and brown stairs.
- Birchply for trays, holders and animal and botany puzzles.
- MDF for puzzle maps
- Pineply for boxes and containers
We ensure that the coatings and inks used are not only eco-friendly, but also non-toxic.
Our wooden products are manufactured by responsible partner factories both locally and abroad and ensure that fair labour practices are adopted.
Care instructions for Childrens House Wooden Materials:
- If wooden products are exposed to liquids, wipe dry as quickly as possible.
- Most of the surfaces can be wiped with a damp cloth if exposed to dirt or grime.
- Avoid leaving any of our wooden product in direct sunlight, as it may warp certain woods and/ or the coating may fade over time.
This product qualifies for free shipping to your door anywhere in South Africa.
Transit times depend on your location:
- Cape Metro – next day if your order is placed before 13h00
- Gauteng & Durban – 2 to 3 days
- Everywhere else – 2 to 4 days depending on your location
We offer free delivery to the USA:
- USA – free for orders over $300 – 7 days to your door
- Canada – 7 days shipping calculated at checkout – subject to additional GST & PST which is billed on arrival
- UK – 7 days shipping calculated at checkout – subject to 20% VAT which is billed on arrival
- EU – 7 day shipping calculated at checkout – subject to EU VAT which is billed on arrival
- Australia – 9 days – may be subject to 10% GST which is billed on arrival
- NZ – 9 days – may be subject to 15% GST which is billed on arrival
Should you require further information about shipping charges, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Further Reading and Resources
“With this exercise the teacher introduces the concepts of thickness and thinness, using the terms thick, thicker, thickest, and thin, thinner, thinnest, with the corresponding blocks as concrete examples.” A Parents’ Guide to the Montessori Classroom by Aline D. Wolf.
One of our favorites, the Broad Stair or Brown Stair is a constant attraction in the Montessori classroom. A frequent partner to the Pink Tower, the Broad Stair shares some qualities in common with its upright partner: dimensions in diminishing tenths that support the…