Maria Montessori developed both the fraction circles, and the metal insets over many years. She spent hours, observing children, to refine these activities. Store either of these activities on the stands for the fraction circles and metal insets.
How to present to the Child
- Train children to respect the activities, and to handle the work with care.
- The stands are heavy, and the Child must not lift them
- Children select the inset shape they are attracted to, and carry it on a tray to their work table.
Features of the Stands – Fraction Circles and Metal Insets
There are 2 solid Birch wood stands – 72cm x 19cm x 4.5cm / (28¼” x 7½” x 1¾”)
One of the attractions to the Montessori Method is the extensive use of wood.
We use several types of wood, sourced from renewable sources, in the production of our Montessori Materials.
- Solid beechwood for cylinder blocks, pink towers, dressing frames and brown stairs.
- Birchply for trays, holders and animal and botany puzzles.
- MDF for puzzle maps
- Pineply for boxes and containers
We ensure that the coatings and inks used are not only eco-friendly, but also non-toxic.
Our wooden products are manufactured by responsible partner factories both locally and abroad and ensure that fair labour practices are adopted.
Care instructions for Childrens House Wooden Materials:
- If wooden products are exposed to liquids, wipe dry as quickly as possible.
- Most of the surfaces can be wiped with a damp cloth if exposed to dirt or grime.
- Avoid leaving any of our wooden product in direct sunlight, as it may warp certain woods and/ or the coating may fade over time.
This product qualifies for free shipping to your door anywhere in South Africa.
Transit times depend on your location:
- Cape Metro – next day if your order is placed before 13h00
- Gauteng & Durban – 2 to 3 days
- Everywhere else – 2 to 4 days depending on your location
We offer free delivery to the USA:
- USA – free for orders over $300 – 7 days to your door
- Canada – 7 days shipping calculated at checkout – subject to additional GST & PST which is billed on arrival
- UK – 7 days shipping calculated at checkout – subject to 20% VAT which is billed on arrival
- EU – 7 day shipping calculated at checkout – subject to EU VAT which is billed on arrival
- Australia – 9 days – may be subject to 10% GST which is billed on arrival
- NZ – 9 days – may be subject to 15% GST which is billed on arrival
Should you require further information about shipping charges, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Metal Insets
- The Metal Insets Tracing Tray
- Shelf Display for Metal Insets
- The Box for Inset Paper
Further reading and resources
(As) “a child in a Montessori classroom learns to control a pencil by filling in outlines. An activity that does not (tire) him because he enjoys it. To make the outline, he uses equipment known as the Metal Insets. Each inset represents a different geometric shape. After selecting a figure and tracing it on paper, the child fills in the outline with a colored pencil of his own choosing.” A Parents’ Guide to the Montessori Classroom by Aline D. Wolf, page 32