What do we use the Short Bead Chains for?
The Short Bead Chains and Rack are part of Montessori mathematics curriculum. The exercises for the Short Bead Chains prepare the child for multiplication, as they ‘skip-count’ through the bead chains.
Objectives of using the Chains
This lesson promotes order; and sequencing; as well as fine, and gross motor muscle development. Furthermore, it indirectly helps prepare the Child to understand the process of squaring numbers.
Contents of the Short Bead Chains and Rack
- a solid, wooden rack to hold the Short Bead Chains
- a different colour bead chain for each number 1 – 10
Children indirectly memorise the colours to the number sequencing, so they will instinctively know that the pink bead stair have 3 beads. This aids their learning process.
46 cm x 12 cm x 9.5 cm / ( 18″ x 4¾” x 3¾” )
One of the attractions to the Montessori Method is the extensive use of wood.
We use several types of wood, sourced from renewable sources, in the production of our Montessori Materials.
- Solid beechwood for cylinder blocks, pink towers, dressing frames and brown stairs.
- Birchply for trays, holders and animal and botany puzzles.
- MDF for puzzle maps
- Pineply for boxes and containers
We ensure that the coatings and inks used are not only eco-friendly, but also non-toxic.
Our wooden products are manufactured by responsible partner factories both locally and abroad and ensure that fair labour practices are adopted.
Care instructions for Childrens House Wooden Materials:
- If wooden products are exposed to liquids, wipe dry as quickly as possible.
- Most of the surfaces can be wiped with a damp cloth if exposed to dirt or grime.
- Avoid leaving any of our wooden product in direct sunlight, as it may warp certain woods and/ or the coating may fade over time.
Order R1000 worth of items to qualify for free shipping to your door anywhere in South Africa.
Transit times depend on your location:
- Cape Metro – next day if your order is placed before 13h00
- Gauteng & Durban – 2 to 3 days
- Everywhere else – 2 to 4 days depending on your location
Feel free to email us should you require any further information.
We offer free delivery to the USA:
- USA – free for orders over $300 – 7 days to your door
- Canada – 7 day shipping is calculated at checkout – subject to additional GST & PST which is billed on arrival
- UK – 7 day shipping is calculated at checkout – subject to 20% VAT which is billed on arrival
- EU – 7 day shipping calculated at checkout – subject to EU VAT which is billed on arrival
- Australia – 9 days – may be subject to 10% GST which is billed on arrival
- NZ – 9 days – may be subject to 15% GST which is billed on arrival
Should you require further information about shipping charges, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com
- You can use the Printed Arrows – Short Bead Chains perform skip counting exercises
- The mat for the 100 bead chain
- Numeral Stories is a mathematical extension and focuses on place value
Further Reading and Resources
- Guidepost Montessori schools present an article explaining how to use short bead chains.