From birth to 6 years of age, children exhibit certain periods of sensitivity when they are driven to do specific things. The need to sort and match falls under the period for order. Adults have no direct influence on the Child’s sensitive periods, but they can provide activities, such as the Matching Same but Different cards. Ensure young children are ready for this level of activity before you introduce it. Matching cards demonstrates that the Child has the ability to visually discriminate between two items that look similar, but are not exactly the same.
Objectives of the Matching Same but Different Activity
The direct objective is to match the same card to the control card. Indirectly, the Child:
- increases their concentration, and focus
- they gain great satisfaction in repeating activities
These exercises lay the foundation of vocabulary, reading and writing skills. Through observation you can watch how the Child’s recall and recognition improves.
What does Pre-Literacy mean?
In the past, we used to talk about “readiness skills” for school. We now talk about, pre-literacy skills. Certain early activities, undertaken by children, help them to learn how to read successfully. Pre-literacy defines the Childs level of skill to recognise letters, numbers and shapes. The Matching Same but Different activity cards fall into this category.
- 6 cards – printed on both sides i.e. 12 exercises
- 22 cm x 22 cm / (8.5″ x 8.5″)
- 3 counters (to mark the correct answer)
- Stored in an A4 plastic envelope.
Order R1000 worth of items to qualify for free shipping to your door anywhere in South Africa.
Transit times depend on your location:
- Cape Metro – next day if your order is placed before 13h00
- Gauteng & Durban – 2 to 3 days
- Everywhere else – 2 to 4 days depending on your location
Feel free to email us should you require any further information.
We offer free delivery to the USA:
- USA – free for orders over $300 – 7 days to your door
- Canada – 7 day shipping is calculated at checkout – subject to additional GST & PST which is billed on arrival
- UK – 7 day shipping is calculated at checkout – subject to 20% VAT which is billed on arrival
- EU – 7 day shipping calculated at checkout – subject to EU VAT which is billed on arrival
- Australia – 9 days – may be subject to 10% GST which is billed on arrival
- NZ – 9 days – may be subject to 15% GST which is billed on arrival
Should you require further information about shipping charges, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com
Further Reading and Resources
Tips for First Montessori Matching Activities – 19 months – by the How We Montessori site.