One of the earliest skills the Montessori Child learns, is that of sequencing. By learning to sequence, the Child develops the ability to understand; and arrange purposeful patterns of actions; behaviours, ideas or thoughts. By learning to count, the Child begins with a concrete product; such as the golden beads; before taking things to the next level, that of abstract numbers. The mat for bead chains of 100, is an essential resource in this process. It is long enough to accommodate ten bead chains; of ten golden beads each; in one unbroken chain. The mat can also be used for the other longer bead chains from the bead cabinet. Working independently, the Child lays the mat on the classroom floor, and then the bead chain on top. They then use printed arrows to count off the number of units that they are working with, to mark the division.
Features of the Mat for Bead Chains of 100:
- assists the Child to keep the bead chains from rolling around
- delineates the space for the Child to work within
- indirectly, this material assists the Child to maintain a sense of order
- curriculum support material, aligned to the Montessori mathematics curriculum
- this material follows the hundred board, and short bead chain products
Contents of the Mat for Bead Chains of 100:
- a long, narrow mat made from dark grey serge, with rounded corners
- washable material
- the material has a nap, which prevents the bead chains from rolling around
The bead chains, used in the illustrations, are sold separately.
Size: 128cm x 22cm / (50¼” x 8½”)