The Learner 12 hour Clock is an excellent teaching tool for young children! Introduce this activity after the child has had the concrete experience of numbers 1-12. Only once they have grasped the abstract understanding of using symbols to reflect numbers, can they start to learn how to tell the time.
How do children understand time?
Young children may not understand “time”, but they most certainly grasp the fundamental sensorial meaning of it. The Child believes that time is measured by actions such as movement. How long; or short; it will be, and its importance, “Time to wake up, to eat, to sleep, to go to the park, or go to work.”
Time in numbers, and minutes is meaningless to the young child. Actions taken, places time into a concept they can understand, i.e. “we will leave after you fasten your shoes, and I put the dog into the garden”
This Learner 12 hour Clock set contains:
- a set of 5 analogue clocks, printed on plastic shapes
- made from easy “write, and wipe” material
Size of each clock: 16 cm x 12.5 cm / (6¼” x 5″)
Features of the Learner 12 hour Clock:
- the direct objective; with practice; is for the Child to learn how to tell the time
- Indirectly, children improve vocabulary, numeracy, and reading skills
- the activity for time forms part of the traditional Montessori curriculum
Order R1000 worth of items to qualify for free shipping to your door anywhere in South Africa.
Transit times depend on your location:
- Cape Metro – next day if your order is placed before 13h00
- Gauteng & Durban – 2 to 3 days
- Everywhere else – 2 to 4 days depending on your location
Feel free to email us should you require any further information.
We offer free delivery to the USA:
- USA – free for orders over $300 – 7 days to your door
- Canada – 7 day shipping is calculated at checkout – subject to additional GST & PST which is billed on arrival
- UK – 7 day shipping is calculated at checkout – subject to 20% VAT which is billed on arrival
- EU – 7 day shipping calculated at checkout – subject to EU VAT which is billed on arrival
- Australia – 9 days – may be subject to 10% GST which is billed on arrival
- NZ – 9 days – may be subject to 15% GST which is billed on arrival
Should you require further information about shipping charges, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Clock Activity – o’Clock is the perfect starting point when learning how to tell time
- To visualize time the Hour Glass Timers is a fun activity.
Further Reading and Resources
- Read the blog Telling Time by Montessori Daoshi.com