Who would have ever thought that these beautiful blue geometric shapes could be as important to language as they are to mathematics? How can they assist a child to learn to read? It’s all in the shape, of course. As shape is the primary characteristic of each letter of the alphabet, Maria Montessori designed sensorial activities to make children aware of the shape of things.
These ten 3-D solid wooden shapes represent a concrete tactile or stereognostic foundation for the child, helping them become aware of the shapes. The Geometric Solids Control Book bridges the gap from the visual/stereognostic perception to the abstract interpretation of the solids. The child can start by comparing the actual concrete solid shape to the image in the book.
Features of the Geometric Solids Control Book:
- the direct objects for the Child, are to:
- learn the correct name for each shape, and to
- recognise the number of faces, edges, and vertices of each shape
- indirectly, the Child learns to:
- recognise the learnt shapes, reflected in nature; and everyday objects, around them
- recognise letters, and words
- draw the shapes with ease
- introduce the Child to geometry
- aimed at the 6 to 9 environment, however, certain children will be ready at 5+ to begin using this product
- a ring bound booklet, with illustrations, and definitions on alternate pages
- aligned to the Montessori sensorial curriculum
Note: the pyramid shape in the images, is sold separately under a different code.
Order R1000 worth of items to qualify for free shipping to your door anywhere in South Africa.
Transit times depend on your location:
- Cape Metro – next day if your order is placed before 13h00
- Gauteng & Durban – 2 to 3 days
- Everywhere else – 2 to 4 days depending on your location
Feel free to email us should you require any further information.
We offer free delivery to the USA:
- USA – free for orders over $300 – 7 days to your door
- Canada – 7 day shipping is calculated at checkout – subject to additional GST & PST which is billed on arrival
- UK – 7 day shipping is calculated at checkout – subject to 20% VAT which is billed on arrival
- EU – 7 day shipping calculated at checkout – subject to EU VAT which is billed on arrival
- Australia – 9 days – may be subject to 10% GST which is billed on arrival
- NZ – 9 days – may be subject to 15% GST which is billed on arrival
Should you require further information about shipping charges, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com
Size: 10cm x 9.5cm x 0.10cm / (4″ x 3¾” x ¼”)
Further Reading and Reference Material
- The Montessori Global Network have a very interesting article explaining how geometry fits into the Montessori language and mathematics curriculum.