Every Montessori classroom; regardless of which plane of development they relate to; all require essential core materials, which are a hallmark of prepared environments. However, every Montessori classroom also requires one other indispensable item. This is not a core product, but used by every Child once a year; and that is the Birthday Circle Activity – French, helping us to wish the Child, “” (happy birthday).
The aim of this birthday ritual is to help students recognise how they have grown; and changed; since they were born. The ritual helps them understand why they have turned a year older, and to foster a sense of community; and celebration; in the Montessori classroom environment. This birthday ritual is typically introduced during circle time and an item; such as a candle or yellow ball; is placed in the center of the circle to represent the sun in our universe.
The birthday child is invited to carefully hold the globe, while the Montessori teacher explains to the children that the earth orbits around the sun, and one rotation around the sun takes one year of time. Essentially, the child’s walk represents the earth revolving around the sun, and another year that has passed…(read more)
Features of the Birthday Circle Activity – French:
- the direct objective for the Child, is to:
- understand why they have turned a year older
- indirectly, the Child learns to:
- recognise how they have grown in the past year
- identify each season and how it changes
- name each month and know which season it belongs to
- this activity is important in fostering a sense of community
- interchangeable between Northern and Southern Hemispheres.
Contents of the Birthday Circle Activity – French:
- 1 x circular mat
- 4 x images of trees, depicting each season
- 4 x images of people, depicting each season
- 12 x labels, 1 of each month
- 4 x small labels naming each season
- 4 x arrows, to direct the direction the Child must walk
- everything is stored in a transparent, plastic container with a lid
Suggested Activities for the Child:
- to start the ritual, the teacher can elect to light a candle in a holder
- at the beginning of the activity, the Child is told that the birthday child is waiting to be born
- all the children begin singing the birthday song
- the birthday Child begins walking around the sun, holding a globe of the world, stopping when they reach the month of their birth
- the teacher explains that they are now one, and everyone claps once
- she shares a photograph of them when they were one, and asks the birthday child to tell the class what they learnt that year
- and this is repeated for every year, with the candle being extinguished when their current age is achieved
- circular mat – 103cm / (40½”)
- labels of the month – 15cm x 4cm / (6″ x 1½”)
- plastic container – 25.5cm x 14.5cm x 4.5cm / (10″ x 5¾” x 1¾”)
Order R1000 worth of items to qualify for free shipping to your door anywhere in South Africa.
Transit times depend on your location:
- Cape Metro – next day if your order is placed before 13h00
- Gauteng & Durban – 2 to 3 days
- Everywhere else – 2 to 4 days depending on your location
Feel free to email us should you require any further information.
We offer free delivery to the USA:
- USA – free for orders over $300 – 7 days to your door
- Canada – 7 day shipping is calculated at checkout – subject to additional GST & PST which is billed on arrival
- UK – 7 day shipping is calculated at checkout – subject to 20% VAT which is billed on arrival
- EU – 7 day shipping calculated at checkout – subject to EU VAT which is billed on arrival
- Australia – 9 days – may be subject to 10% GST which is billed on arrival
- NZ – 9 days – may be subject to 15% GST which is billed on arrival
Should you require further information about shipping charges, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com
Ce produit est vendu par notre partenaire Montessori World
Bienvenue chez Montessori World !
Nous sommes heureux et fiers de partager avec vous notre passion pour Montessori, en mettant à votre disposition les meilleures solutions destinées à l’épanouissement de vos enfants.
Depuis 2019, nous aidons les parents directement ou par l’intermédiaire des écoles, à soutenir le développement de l’enfant en fournissant le matériel et le savoir-faire nécessaires à créer un environnement d’apprentissage personnalisé, unique et engageant, favorisant l’acquisition de l’indépendance pour chaque enfant. Le matériel innovant que nous fournissons est de la plus haute qualité, de sa conception à sa fabrication. Il favorise un apprentissage destiné à permettre à l’enfant d’exprimer le meilleur de lui-même, car Montessori est une éducation à la vie, pour la vie !
Welcome to Montessori World! We are happy and proud to share our passion for Montessori with you, by providing you with the best solutions for the development of your children. Since 2019, we have been helping parents, directly or through schools, to support child development by providing the materials and know-how necessary to create a personalised, unique and engaging learning environment, promoting the independence of every child. The innovative material we provide is of the highest quality, from design to production. It promotes engaged learning to bring out the best in your children, because Montessori is an education for life !
Attributions for the Birthday Circle Activity
We thank NAMC, the North American Montessori Centre, and Bree, an NAMC tutor and graduate for use of her blog: Introducing History and Passage of Time in a Montessori Preschool: The Birthday Walk and the Clock and Montessori Kids Universe.