One of the simplest methods to strengthen the Child’s fine motor muscles, is to introduce this 1 ml syringe to them. The Child must use greater manipulation with the larger syringes. The stronger suction pressure; exerted by big syringes; makes it more difficult to draw back the plunger, and to depress it. However, these smaller syringes require more fine motor dexterity.
Features of the 1 ml Syringe
- the direct objective is to-
- pull the plunger out while the syringe is under water, draw water up into the syringe, and then depress the plunger to release it
- indirectly, the Child-
- strengthens their hands while developing control, and coordination
- improve their finger grip; known as the ‘pincer grip’, which is a pre-writing exercise
- develops good bilateral coordination
- this activity provides good support material for the Montessori practical life curriculum
Activities related to the use of the Syringe
- transferring liquid from one container into another
- can use food colouring to make this activity more interesting
- water plants by transferring water from a jug into a vase with a narrow neck
- transfer a predetermined amount of water; using the measurements on the side of the syringe as a guide; into a small container, such as a bowl or a tray that hold ice-cubes. This is a more advanced activity.
Size of the 1 ml Syringe
- length – with the plunger depressed – 11 cm / (4¼”)
- circumference – 1 cm / (½”)
- volume – 1 ml / (0.03″)
Order R1000 worth of items to qualify for free shipping to your door anywhere in South Africa.
Transit times depend on your location:
- Cape Metro – next day if your order is placed before 13h00
- Gauteng & Durban – 2 to 3 days
- Everywhere else – 2 to 4 days depending on your location
Feel free to email us should you require any further information.
We offer free delivery to the USA:
- USA – free for orders over $300 – 7 days to your door
- Canada – 7 day shipping is calculated at checkout – subject to additional GST & PST which is billed on arrival
- UK – 7 day shipping is calculated at checkout – subject to 20% VAT which is billed on arrival
- EU – 7 day shipping calculated at checkout – subject to EU VAT which is billed on arrival
- Australia – 9 days – may be subject to 10% GST which is billed on arrival
- NZ – 9 days – may be subject to 15% GST which is billed on arrival
Should you require further information about shipping charges, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The smaller syringe that contains a volume of 5 ml, requires greater precision of fine motor muscle coordination.
- The mini white bowl is the perfect size for the advanced activity of transferring a predetermined volume of liquid.
- To present the activity to the Child, load the product required; to complete the work; onto a small tray.
Further Reading and Resources
- Why handwork is an essential element of cosmic education, written by Montessori Handwork.com
Montessori activity: mixing colours with a syringe, written by the Family FECS.com